86
(1875-1876) as a member of the Langsdorff expedition, the Bororo da Campanha had already been “pacified” and were
living on the Fazenda of their conqueror, Joáo Pereira Leite, in one or more villages near Cáceres (Páo Seco, Cacará)
and in Cambará near Jacobina on land owned by Francisco Correia. In 1847 Antonio Leverger, a future president of
the province of Mato Grosso, noted that the fazenda Cacará had more or less fallen into disuse and that the Bororo da
Campanha as well had moved south to near “Escalvado” where they occupied a village of about 150 or 200 “tame and
peaceful” inhabitants who were living from hunting and fishing and the cultivation of corn, manioc, and cotton. Others
were living on the Rio Corixa Grande on Bolivian territory (Leverger 1862:294-296) in a village identified a few years
earlier by the French explorer Francis Laporte de Castelnau (1853:pl. 20) as San Matías. It is likely that San Matías was
inhabited by refugees from the oppression suffered by the Bororo da Campanha at the hands of their fazendeiro. 1
In 1894 Julio Koslowsky (1895) draws a shocking picture of the exploitation and abuse of Bororo da Campanha living
at Laguna between Cáceres and Descalvado 2 by the Leite family. The last published record was provided by the American
anthropologist Vincent Petrullo (1932), just a few years before two villages of the Bororo da Campanha at the confluence
of the Rio Paraguai and Rio Jauru were destroyed “with fire and sword”; in 1999/2000 some descendants of the Bororo
da Campanha were found near San Matías, but most had lost or were concealing their indigenous identity and unlike
the Eastern Bororo did not occupy a reservation (Ochoa 2001:21-22).
Fig. 1 The Bororo da Campanha and their relatives.
Grey triangles represent the known Bororo da Campanha
villages between the 1820s and 1930s, black triangles
Eastern Bororo villages of the twentieth century
mentioned in this essay, and the white triangle the only
known village of the Bororo do Cobaçal, documented
in the 1840s.
' Probably in 1825, when Father José Maria de Velasco came
to Cuiabá on behalf of Governor Sebastián Ramos of the Bolivian
province of Chiquitos to surrender this province to the
Empire of Brazil, Natterer received from him information on the
indigenous inhabitants of Chiquitos (Natterer 1825). According
to Natterer's notes there were about 2500 Bororos, Otukes,Guanás,
and Zamucos living in the region of Santo Corazón, about
the same number of Bororos, Zamucos, and Guanás in San
José, and again more or less the same number of Bororos and
Potureros (Mortôkô) in San Juan [Bautista]; San Matías is not
mentioned. It may be noted that Castelnau (1853;pl. 20) says
that the Bororo living in the Campos Allegre southeast of San
Matías had formerly inhabited the Rio Jauru and Rio Paraguai
and had "in part been conquered by D. Sebastian Ramos.”
2 The present Descalvado is often referred to by the Spanish
name "Descalvados" because the fazenda was owned between
1881 and 1895 by a rancher from Uruguay who also operated
a factory for the production of jerky meat that in 1895 was
bought by a Belgian company (http://www.jomaloeste.com
br/?pg=notida&idn=13361). Because of the amenities available,
unusual for in a location in the Pantanal, Descalvdo also
attracted many naturalists who made it the headquarters fa
their expeditions.